thomaidhapapa

MM Good Book Reviews - Thommie's Books

Where do authors of Horror/Thriller take their ideas from?

While randomly trawling the internet on this slow night, I came across a video called "The most horrifying parasites". Awesome video go check it. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulK9XUd_hh8

Moving on I came across this other post with the 7 most horrifying parasites of the world (don't even ask about my fascination with them) and the Horsehair Worm made quite an impression on me. I swear it reminded me "Mating Season" by Kari Gregg and I thought "gosh, nature is a live source for horrific ideas". And then just as I was shaking my head Sacculina said hello. I don't know, seriously Nature is quite a bitch sometimes. Enjoy her!

Sacculina Will Make You Her Bitch. Literally.

Sacculina has adopted the age-old parasite disguise of sounding like a really hot Italian chick. Well, we're not fooled.

Sacculina is actually a not-at-all-hot female barnacle that is able to inject itself into various species of crab, grow inside them and eventually emerge from the carapace as a large sac. Right near his genitals.

Sacculina?

There, sacculina goes to work. She manipulates the crab's hormones, sterilizing and basically emasculating him. Next, the parasite starts forcing changes in the crab's body to make it resemble a female, presumably by causing a couple of huge crab boobs to flop out. As the final insult, she forces her victim to perform humiliating female mating dances.

Finally when it comes time for sacculina to release her fertilized eggs--after having had sex with another sacculina on top of the poor crab's genitalia, that is--the former male crab is compelled to release them into the ocean and stir the water with his claw, as if the eggs were his own.

Where the crab's genitals used to be, that's sacculina.

Again, there are no known cases of this happening to a human, but, you know. If you see a huge egg sac growing near your junk we urge you to get it checked out right away.

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_17199_the-7-most-horrifying-parasites-planet_p2.html#ixzz2iO3wI48c

Source: http://www.cracked.com/article_17199_the-7-most-horrifying-parasites-planet_p2.html#ixzz2iO3wI48c