thomaidhapapa

MM Good Book Reviews - Thommie's Books

Xu - A.J. Llewellyn Such a lovely book. Boxing was, is and will be one of my favorite sports and Llewellyn managed to capture the very essence of it. Very good job indeed! The training, the double-crossing, the injuries and the hiding that takes place, the cheating and all, yes very, very well done.

So this is the story of Lindo Santiago that raised from the streets of Mexico to the world ranks of boxing, a great athlete that got played by his very own manager and promoter. Lindo participated in a match that cost him two months in a coma and a very serious brain injury. His surgeon and best friend Marcella did whatever she could and eventually saved his life… or did she??

After the decision of the California State Athletic Association that Lindo can no longer box there is nothing left for him to do but to take a long vacation and heal his troubled body and soul. Onward to Hawaii Lindo starts with baby steps a new life and with the help of the island’s magic he starts to realize how much he still has left. Perhaps his fighting days are over, but he has a life to live and love to let in his heart.

The author indeed has a magic touch in her hand when she introduces us the Island. It literally feels like we’re there, like we could smell the breeze and the flower’s fragrance. Absolutely perfect!
While in Hawaii Lindo goes with an acquaintance to a boxing match where he becomes witness of a repetition of his own fight. The young boxer falls head down and Lindo watches the coming days as he falls into a coma with no hopes of coming back.

Lindo also finds love and while it has its ups and downs he and Turner become unseparated. The chemistry between them is almost palpable and the two of them are such a charming couple. Until Turner hear Lindo talk in his sleep, whispering the name of another man…
What? You thought I forgot Xu didn’t you? Of course not, but I had to leave him up for the end. You see while I loved the story of Lindo the boxer that fight death and moves on even if all his former life has took an end, I somehow didn’t quite liked Xu and “his” part in the story. You see Xu is an angel that helped Lindo overcome his coma and stay alive even when all odds were against him. Xu also has a certain sexual intimacy with Lindo. Well, call me old fashion, but this simply wasn’t my cup of tea and I’ll leave it at that.

All in all this was a very nice story that I enjoyed reading and if you are into boxers that overcome their difficulties and fight for their life, with the help of angels or not, go ahead and give it a shot.