thomaidhapapa

MM Good Book Reviews - Thommie's Books

Only In Your Dreams - L.M. Brown 3.5 Hearts

Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Jay has always been able to dream whatever he wanted. Literally. If he had a nightmare, then he simply imagined his monsters gone and dreamed of happier things. But when he became eighteen years old things changed for him and his life took a turn he never would have dreamed of.

First he meets this very sexy guy named Randall at s pub’s toilets of all places, has his first kiss with him and God knows what more if they hadn’t been interrupted by Randall’s phone. Yes, he didn’t get his phone number and probably never see him again, but for Jay, that kiss was his perfect birthday gift.

Then Jay gets a visit by his father in his dream world. Shocked he learns that while he was sheltered by other dream-walkers while he was a minor, now anyone with the same ability as them could invade his dreams and if stronger could trap him in there. What’s more he learns that if you get hurt or if you die in your dream, you carry than on in your reality, aka you die in the dream your dead for good…

And lastly, Jay gets a visit from a young man, vaguely familiar, but one he definitely never met before and they became friends in his dream world. Ok, a bit more than friends. Problem is his new friend, Cory, has no recollection of his waking hours and keeps intentionally vague about his life. Who is he and why is he constantly stalking Jay in his safe place when the night falls?

Ok, so when I started reading this book every word I read gave me the impression that there would be some dream-action here and you know suspense and some bad guy chasing our Jay and… well you get the picture. It is safe to say that is not the case. This is more of a bittersweet story and I don’t know how I really feel about it. The story in itself is really good and quite a bit funny in a twisted way in the beginning. But then the sadness starts growing and growing and at some point it’s simply unbearable reading it.

And I honestly don’t know how to feel about the fact that Jay finds himself in this strange triangle between Randall and Cory, one in the sphere of reality, the other in his dreams and all linked together in such way. It was weird. However I liked it, it was very interesting and quite unique somehow. Even if the romance level was pretty low and I didn’t quite figure out how on earth Jay fell in love in the end with all that mess around, or why for that matter. It still got to be an enjoyable read and if you’re fan of the genre I recommend you give it a try. It might surprise you.

Thommie.