thomaidhapapa

MM Good Book Reviews - Thommie's Books

City Mouse - Amy Lane, Aleksandr Voinov Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

What happens when Prince Charming comes and declares his never-ending love for you, takes up on his bright white horse and up at the tower? You live happily ever after or is that when things start getting tough?

Well yes, you guessed it; this is the follow up of Malcolm’s and Owen’s story. Yes Malcolm did make the grand gesture, he did admit to feeling things and wanting to work this out. Thing is he’s so scared and has actually convinced himself that Owen will see through him and resent him in the end, leaving him again alone and lonely in a worse state than he was before meeting the man who stole his heart.

I can’t say how sad this book made me. I felt so, so bad for poor Malcolm. He really was in a middle of a maelstrom there, not knowing front from back and constantly putting himself down. And while I had quite a wonderful time in their “honeymoon” phase, had an incredibly loud laugh and more with the “hamburger” incident, loved the pair’s dynamic and intensity in bed, I also felt that “awww” thingy when things started crashing down. Again, poor, poor Malcolm. His all attitude and snark and contempt were the result of self-loathing and damn it if that didn’t tug in my heart. But what really made want to hug and pet a fictional character (for crying out loud) was the fact that as much as he pushed Owen in that shitty life he was living himself, it was out of selfishness, but out of pure concern of what would Owen become “when” he left him in the end. I didn’t know what to do there, laugh at him, hug him or slap him silly, yes, yet again I’m talking about a fictional character. *Sigh*

Dear Lord this book was brilliant. The balance of the characters, their personalities, their so very realistic looking lives and emotions, they were just too humane. Owen might have come a bit of the perfect character but he had his moments and his perfection went hand in hand with Malcolm’s flaws. The intimate scenes were bloody hot, again and again and again. I had to stop at about 50% of the book to take a breath for I was literally losing oxygen fast there from holding my breath. Even the slow, sweet lovemaking had me panting there.

I also saw Percy (from the Market Garden series) showing up here and damn it if I don’t want to read his story.

Anyway, back to this book, it was brilliant and not much more to add here. If you know the authors you know what to expect, if you don’t, well no time like the present, hop along and enjoy their fantastic writing skills.

Thommie.