thomaidhapapa

MM Good Book Reviews - Thommie's Books

Making the First Move - Reese Ryan Review written for Chocolicious Reviews

Awww!

Yes, I know, it’s absurd when it comes from me, but every once in a while there are these books that hit that special spot in me and turn me to puddle. Normally such books belong to the most violent genres. Action, Mystery, Historicals with a cruel side and I’m sold. But sometimes there comes that surprise from the romantic genre and makes me rediscover that deeply hidden romantic side of mine.

Making The First Move is a greatly written and quite acceptable romantic book that will make the hearts of every woman and perhaps some men too melt. The theme is one that has been written many times, but – even though I’m not familiar with this author – when a story has been written with a golden pen, then you love reading it no matter how much the theme has been exhausted.

Melanie is a woman who is running from her past by dipping her head deeply into her work. Crushed from a relationship gone horribly bad she leaves her home town Cleveland and moves to San Francisco, where after years of hard work she’s finally made it up the ranks. She earns a huge promotion, but that comes with a price. First she has to go back home, to Cleveland, where the new branch is located and secondly her friend and for over a year “plus one” has just now made up his mind to tell her he has feelings for him. Feelings which Melanie also shares. Can things get more complicated?

Yes they apparently can because this author has a very solid and creative imagination. I loved the plot. It was exquisite. The events that follow are credible and come close to believable. Reality often hits this way and it made for a very accessible romance, one that made you feel like the heroine. Its twists and turns were fascinating without creating too much angst or drama. There were many parts that made you gasp and “awww” involuntarily, lacking though the sappy touch. I loved it, absolutely adored the plot.

The characters were also pretty damn fantastic. Melanie is that solid person one can find every day just by turning his/her head. She is a career woman, strong and confident, and full of her own inner issues and insecurities. She is a several layers character with unique depth and that makes you feel quite close to her. Yes she’s also frustrating many times, but for the most part she’s a woman one can easily identify with.

Mason is also an amazing character. Charming and very appealing he makes you melt even more when all his flaws get out in the open. Truth be told for half the book I had my doubts about him as he was indeed too good to be true. But then the author made the leap and with just a turn of her pen made him human and very approachable.

The thing I loved the most though was the fact that the couple doesn’t overshadow the story by taking all the spotlight. There are a great number of characters here and each and every one is beautifully portrayed without the overkill of many details. From Melanie’s boss to her ex and from her mother to her brother-in-law each and every character is unique and has a way to drag you into the story, making you want to be a part of it.

Furthermore the romance and intimate scenes were absolutely gorgeous. It is a brilliant work in this aspect too as they are not too much and not too little either. The balance is perfect and the end result is quite alluring and sensual. As I said in the beginning this is a book that made me “awww” almost constantly without making me feel stupid for doing so.

So bottom end, what I’m trying to say is, if you’ve got even a “barely tolerate romance” side, you will love this book. It’s excellent and I definitely recommend it.

Thommie