thomaidhapapa

MM Good Book Reviews - Thommie's Books

Coliseum Square - Lynn Lorenz 2.5 Hearts
Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

I am known to love the 19th century historicals. There is something about that time that awakes the romantic in me. The speech itself feels too romantic and alluring for me to stay away.

In this novella that feeling, along with the foreboding of being a homosexual and the desperation it all brought, was right there as it began. It easily draw you into the book when Mark runs from his past life in fear, constantly thinking that impending death or jail awaits him in every corner. The paranoia when one knows he’s an outlaw and could easily lose everything is quite obvious from Mark’s thoughts and actions.

But then Mark makes a new life, under a new name as a tutor for Royal DuCote’s son in New Orleans. The romance should start bright and shiny, but that wasn’t the case. While the book starts with Mark making up his mind to forever hide his sexuality out of fear, it quickly turns into love-at-first-sight and a reckless behavior from both Master and employer. The romantic speech I so loved was lacking during their dialogues and felt even more during their intercourse. The relationship between Mark and his charge was a fast built up that didn’t come to terms with the boy’s disposition creating quite the oxymoron feel about it. The time space as well was so fast, that any meaningful action/reaction lost its credibility. What could have been a great read was in fact a lukewarm one that disappointed me in its execution.

If you don’t mind the details and the lack of authenticity about this book I think it’s a nice read, the pair quite hot and sexy, and the end inspires an “awww” out of you with its HEA. But if you are that era lover like myself then it’ll probably disappoint the heck out of too.

Thommie