thomaidhapapa

MM Good Book Reviews - Thommie's Books

Living on the Edge - L.M. Somerton 2.5~3 Hearts
Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

Again I run into a love-at-first-sight type of book, and again it did not sell itself to me. In addition the bdsm scenes lost their appeal and magic with the hasty and almost forceful way they were put in the plot. But I liked the action part of the story, quite a lot I might say.

Aiden is a charming character, how can he not when besides being utterly beautiful, he is also quite intelligent. That brilliance though causes him some real troubles when he’s caught by the police and sentenced into twelve month of public service for hacking. His sentence takes him to the Edge and under Heath’s care.

It is right here were the two characters meet and the instant wanting/longing/lust hits the scene. I don’t mind lust, far from it. I find lust one of the best emotions if depicted right. What really weirded me out was the fact that Aiden was a virgin who deep down knew that he was a submissive at twenty years old. Sometimes I don’t know how realistic that thing is. Submission still is a very complex idea to me, and the fact that one pass of the eye was enough for Heath to not only recognize a sub, but going into full possessing/controlling mode, unnerved me.

Rarely, and I mean quite rarely you’ll find me uncomfortable with a book, but this one effectively managed to get me in such state. I felt uncomfortable with the fact that Heath spied Aiden through the cameras in his room. That was blatant voyeurism and dare I say some serious breach of privacy? I was uncomfortable with the fact that these guys just met, Aiden is supposed to serve a sentence, yet Heath goes on a full controlling mode with huge sexual innuendos in there. I was wondering for half the read, should I shelf this as dubious consent?

Anyway, the action plot moved to a more appealing route when Aiden’s story appears not to be what it was made to seem, criminals go after him and Olly once again gets himself in the middle of the fire zone. And while there were some plot holes in there, at least it made up for the implausible romantic D/s relationship between Aiden and Heath. I don’t know how to describe it really, besides the fact that a virgin gave himself to a seasoned Dom without any conversation about what it entails, with no experience whatsoever and in general was expected to behave as if he’d been trawling the leather clubs for years. And the chemistry between the two of them simply did not convince me.

So in the end there were parts I liked and parts I didn’t about this book.

Thommie