thomaidhapapa

MM Good Book Reviews - Thommie's Books

Make Mine a Bad Boy - Carolina Valdez 3.5 Hearts
Review written for MM Good Book Reviews

I love myself some military men. Yes indeed, they are born to excel and be strong. They are also human beings with a heart beating under their chest and limits. Perhaps their limits stretch further than those of us mere mortals, but there is a breaking point.

This story is all about that breaking point. It’s about when those limits are pushed beyond comfort, and the demons take your mind over.

Most of this read felt so sad to me. While I loved it and the main characters, that sad feeling never left. Each working with their PTSD after an op gone real bad, Shane and Mike (best friends and lovers) lose contact. Misunderstandings, bad feelings, dark emotions… Everything worked against them and for two years Shane had been trying to simply survive day after day with pain and loss, while Mike kept searching, kept wondering.

Now their paths cross one more time. Now there is a second chance looming in the air. Now things are even harder as time has played its trick on them, and one of them is off service while the other still on.

The prose is full of emotions such as sadness, longing, lust, and love. Most of the read they are felt easily, they grip you and take you under them. But then the narration seems so impersonal, so “telling” and they slip from you like water from your fingers. When the couple finally makes it together and the big confrontation scene occurs it didn’t reach me and I felt loss at that. What should have been the breaking point for this book, the moment when all emotions went skyrocketing and fire-cracking, was a lukewarm narration covered in haste, a rushing scene that frustrated the Hell out of me.

So while I loved two thirds of this book the end was not so great for me. Still I enjoyed the book enough to rate it as much as I did. If you love yourself some military guys and don’t mind the aftermath of their glory I recommend this book for you.

Thommie